Losing weight in a healthy manner and keeping your desired weight while still being happy with your diet might be a challenge. However, keep in mind that even the smallest adjustments can lead to big changes in the end.
Healthy Ways to Lose Weight
Those who lose a lot of weight in a short timeframe risk weight cycling later on. Quickly shed pounds can return quickly, so it should be no surprise when the lost weight comes back after the diet is complete. Another downside of fast weight loss: your body loses mostly water and muscle mass. The body fat, on the other hand, is kept as your body is preparing for times of famine. As a general rule, losing 1 – 2 lbs (0.5 – 1 kg) per week is recommended and healthy.
Reflect on Your Actions
The internet is packed with weight loss tips to help you lose weight faster. It’s often hard to tell which really help, but one thing’s for sure: you should reflect on your eating behavior from time to time. Avoid ingesting too little fat and carbohydrates, just like too little liquids, or working out with an empty stomach. Skipping a meal to save on calories is neither satisfactory nor a solution to those extra pounds.
Follow a balanced diet 80% of the time and allow yourself treats 20% of the time
All You Need to Know about Sleep
Who wouldn’t love to slim down while sleeping?! Well, it’s not that illusionary after all. Recent studies show that lots of shut-eye aids weight loss. Those who sleep more not only have less time to eat, but also more energy for sports and a more active metabolism. Little sleep, on the other hand, increases the concentration of appetite-promoting & stress hormones in the blood. The altered hormone balance might be a reason why tired people eat more during the day.
Running before Breakfast?
Making time for a pre-breakfast run on an empty stomach once or twice a week may be worth its while! When sleeping, your body resorts to your carb reserves. As they are limited, there’s not much left when you wake up – and your body has to find an alternative energy supply. A run before breakfast helps improve your fat metabolism. The next time you feel fit as a fiddle upon waking up – lace up & head out for a run!
6 Practical Tips for Losing Weight
- Check the fit of your jeans. You don’t have to step on your scale every day to monitor your weight loss. Grab your favorite jeans or another piece of clothing and assess your progress by its changing fit.
- Go the extra mile! Following a plan is easy – try to do more than the minimum. Tiny changes in your training (squat down a bit deeper, jump a little higher) and everyday life (climb the stairs a bit faster) aren’t hard to implement, but will be visible later.
- Give your body breaks from eating. Extending the time without food intake a bit longer than just at night also counts as fasting. A 12-hour break from eating keeps your blood sugar level low, causing your body to resort to its fat reserves.
- Ventilate! Regular ventilation not only improves the air in your apartment or home, it also helps shed pounds as your body has to adjust to the new temperature.
- Avoid XXL packagings. Studies show that we eat more when snacking from large packages. Opt for smaller packages when shopping, or split larger ones into smaller portions when you get home.
- Too little sleep aids weight gain. A high concentration of cortisol prompts our body to store increased amounts of fat, especially around the abdomen.