There is no life without water. Find out why your body needs it and get tips on how to stay hydrated at all times.
Water Is Life
Water is a key component of the human body and accounts for approximately 60% of an adult’s body weight. Brain and muscles have a high water content and react sensitively to a lowered body water content.
Working Out Means Sweating
Those who work out need to focus on hydration especially in order to make up for lost liquids, and to lay the foundation for fitness activities because physically active people sweat. Plus, the fitter you are, the more you sweat! This is due to the fact that your sweat glands work better and faster. If you drink too little, or don’t hydrate on time, your performance will deteriorate.
Apple juice with sparkling water is the perfect sports drink.
How Much Water Should You Drink?
People who are moderately active should drink between 1.5 and 2 liters of water per day (or about 8 glasses). The more active you are, the more you should drink. However, the amount of liquids is not the only thing that counts, but also what and when you drink to stay hydrated. Whether it’s for a workout or in your everyday life, go for tap water, mineral water, unsweetened teas, or fruit & vegetables juices diluted with water (⅓ juice vs. ⅔ water) to quench your thirst.
All You Need to Know About Sports Drinks
It’s vital to keep drinking throughout the entire day and start your workout well hydrated. For 30 to 60 minutes of training, filling up on water post-workout is enough. When working out for more than 60 minutes, you should have a few sips in between to improve your performance, coordination and concentration. Apple juice with mineral water (mixed 1:3) is the perfect sports drink. It makes up for the liquid lost while providing vital minerals like magnesium. This drink is isotonic, containing similar concentration of salt and sugar as the human body, and therefore a great option to quickly fill up on liquid and electrolytes when doing sports.
6 Practical Tips on How to Hydrate Regularly
- Have a glass of water 15 to 20 minutes before every meal! This routine helps you stay hydrated while curbing your appetite.
- Pimp your water! Little drops of color, like pomegranate seeds, raspberries, mint leaves, ginger or cucumber slices, add flavor to your water & make it prettier, too!
- Some like it hot. Spicy, hot dishes make you want to drink more. Plus, spices boost metabolism and are good for your immune system.
- Take to the (water!) bottle. Get used to bringing your water bottle wherever you go. Place it somewhere clearly visible to remind you to take a sip regularly.
- Get support. Motivate each other to drink more water. A colleague at work could become your water sparring partner. Or you could try a hydration app that reminds you to drink.
- You drink with your eyes, too! You’ll surely be more inclined to sip from a stylish water bottle that pleases your eye. Plus, your own beautiful bottle makes it easier to control the amount of water you drink each day.